Israeli Soldiers’ Hats

Every time I see photos (like this one) of Israeli soldiers going into battle…

israeli soldier helmets

…I can’t help but asking a very trivial question- what is that helmet-cover, the thing which looks like a chef’s hat (or oversized shower cap)?

Well, according to this article in Slate, it’s called a mitznefet, and is used to camouflage the helmet, making its appearance less distinctive and noticeable. Now you know.

As for more substantive thoughts about the current situation, Charles Krauthammer nails it as usual.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.